2010-07-02

Baptism by fire!

Yesterday I took the landy for it's first long drive since I rebuilt the engine. A friend had bought a car, a non runner, up in Norrtälje and asked me for help to tow it back to Stockholm. It's about 72 km one way from where I live. The drive up was un-eventful, with the water- and oil temp meters going up to normal and staying there, rock solid.

The tow back was real easy, I hardly felt that I was towing at all, this engine might be low in horsepower, but it aint "weak". It has really good torque. When towing you want to avoid gear changes as they cause yanking in the line, but I didnt have too, I just put it in 4th and kept it there. Hills or sharp turns were no problem.Where other engines would have stalled, this one just kept pulling. I love it!

BUT, it was *really* boring going so slow, took like two hours coming back, so my next sub-project will be to install the towbar that I have lying around so we can use a trailer next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment